[ejabberd] connection_dropped seen in ejabberd.log and sasl.log

Jeffrey Rogiers jeffrey.rogiers at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 22:13:02 MSD 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Tom <tom.valdes at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm seeing a connection_dropped message in my ejabberd.log file several
> times a day, and Ejabberd continues to run.
> mysql is on the same machine so it's not a networking issue.
>
> =ERROR REPORT==== 2008-06-06 01:32:13 ===
> ** Generic server <0.5602.551> terminating
> ** Last message in was {'DOWN',#Ref<0.0.459.202524>,
>                               process,
>                               <0.5603.551>,
>                               normal}
> ** When Server state == {state,<0.5603.551>,mysql}
> ** Reason for termination ==
> ** connection_dropped
>
> Are they connection of each IM connection or something else?
>

> I also see the following CRASH REPORT in sasl.log..again ejabberd
> continues to run.
>
> =CRASH REPORT==== 15-Mar-2008::10:58:05 ===
>  crasher:
>    pid: <0.472.0>
>    registered_name: []
>    error_info: connection_dropped
>    initial_call: {gen,init_it,
>                      [gen_server,
>                       <0.468.0>,
>                       <0.468.0>,
>                       ejabberd_odbc,
>                       ["im.testdomain.com"],
>                       []]}
>    ancestors: ['ejabberd_odbc_sup_im.testdomain.com',
>                  ejabberd_sup,
>                  <0.37.0>]
>    messages: []
>    links: [<0.468.0>]
>    dictionary: []
>    trap_exit: false
>    status: running
>    heap_size: 610
>    stack_size: 21
>    reductions: 3106
>  neighbours:
>

> Any idea what's going on with my setup?
>
> thanks,
> tom

This has to do with MySQL's keep alive timer, it kills connections after 8
hours of inactivity, (you may want to look further to get the exact time).
But an easy way to fix it is to just tell ejabberd to send keep alive
queries more frequently.

"You can configure an interval to make a dummy SQL request to keep alive the
connections to the database. The default value is 'undefined', so no
keepalive requests are made. Specify in seconds: for example 28800 means 8
hours.

{odbc_keepalive_interval, undefined}."

If your using ejabberd 2.X you can look at the manual.
http://www.process-one.net/docs/ejabberd/guide_en.html#htoc28

Thanks,
Jeffrey Rogiers