[ejabberd] connection_dropped seen in ejabberd.log and sasl.log

Tom tom.valdes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 22:26:31 MSD 2008

Jeffrey Rogiers wrote:

> This has to do with MySQL's keep alive timer, it kills connections
> after 8 hours of inactivity, (you may want to look further to get the
> exact time). But an easy way to fix it is to just tell ejabberd to
> send keep alive queries more frequently.
>
> "You can configure an interval to make a dummy SQL request to keep
> alive the connections to the database. The default value is
> 'undefined', so no keepalive requests are made. Specify in seconds:
> for example 28800 means 8 hours.
>
> {odbc_keepalive_interval, undefined}."
>

> If your using ejabberd 2.X you can look at the manual.
> http://www.process-one.net/docs/ejabberd/guide_en.html#htoc28
>
> Thanks,
> Jeffrey Rogiers
I'm aware of the keepalive interval, but I think something else is going
on since I'm seeing this behavior alot sooner than 8 hours.  There is
never a period of inactivity even close to 8 hours.. We pretty much see
traffic around the clock.

For example, in my sasl.log, every CRASH REPORT is associated with the
connection_dropped..  Here's a snippet of a results of" grep CRASH
sasl.log"
=CRASH REPORT==== 15-Mar-2008::10:57:05 ===
=CRASH REPORT==== 15-Mar-2008::10:58:05 ===
=CRASH REPORT==== 15-Mar-2008::10:58:07 ===
=CRASH REPORT==== 15-Mar-2008::11:00:06 ===
=CRASH REPORT==== 15-Mar-2008::11:01:04 ===
=CRASH REPORT==== 15-Mar-2008::11:01:06 ===

In the snippet above, the first two crashes are a minute apart and the
third is after only two seconds.

In the snippet below from ejabberd.log, the two crashes are about two
minutes apart.

=ERROR REPORT==== 2008-06-06 04:25:02 ===
** Generic server <0.19802.552> terminating
** Last message in was {'DOWN',#Ref<0.0.460.168032>,
                               process,
                               <0.19803.552>,
                               normal}
** When Server state == {state,<0.19803.552>,mysql}
** Reason for termination ==
** connection_dropped

=ERROR REPORT==== 2008-06-06 04:27:39 ===
** Generic server <0.20275.552> terminating
** Last message in was {'DOWN',#Ref<0.0.460.170162>,
                               process,
                               <0.20276.552>,
                               normal}
** When Server state == {state,<0.20276.552>,mysql}
** Reason for termination ==
** connection_dropped

thanks,
tom