[ejabberd] in-band registration issues

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 02:58:39 MSD 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:38 AM, Michael Ossareh <ossareh at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I attempt to create accounts on one of our servers I get the
> following error:
>
> <iq id="c9Y19-15" from="chat.staging.heysan.com" type="error"><query
> code="500" type="WAIT"><resource-constraint
> xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/></error></iq>

You didn't mention what exact versions are you using.
I guess you are using ejabberd 2.0.1 where you get that error stanza,
and ejabberd 2.0.0 or older where you don't get that error.

In the ejabberd 2.0.1 release notes [1] it is briefly mentioned:
  "inband registration limitation per IP"
Since this is not detailed enough, you can follow the link
  "A complete list of changes" [2]
Where, at the bottom, there is the ticket [3] related to your issue:
"Users management:
   	Task 	EJAB-614 	FIXED 	Registration limitation"

The ejabberd guide included with ejabberd 2.0.1 documents it properly.
The section about mod_register [4] includes this paragraph and example config:

This module reads also another option defined globably for the server:
{registration_timeout, Timeout}. This option limits the frequency of
registration from a given IP or username. So, a user can't register a
new account from the same IP address or JID during this number of
seconds after previous registration. Timeout is expressed in seconds,
and must be an integer. To disable this limitation, instead of an
integer put a word like: infinity. Default value: 600 seconds.

Also define a registration timeout of one hour:
{registration_timeout, 3600}.