[ejabberd] Node Clustering issue

Matthew Reilly matthew.reilly at sipphone.com
Wed Jun 11 20:20:15 MSD 2008

Florian Jensen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to get a cluster working for the last few hours,
> without any luck.
>
> I am running: jabber at ds2581:~/ejabberd-2.0.1$ erl -sname ejabberd
> -mnesia extra_db_nodes "['ds2248.flosoft-servers.net']" -s mnesia
> Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5.5 [source] [64-bit] [async-threads:0]
> [kernel-poll:false]

I see two issues with your command:

The extra_db_nodes needs to be in the format <name>@<node>
Where:
1)  <name> is what is passed to the -sname (or -name) argument of the
node you're clustering with.
2) If the main node was started with -sname, <node> is just the first
part of the host name. If it was started with -name,it would be the full
part of the hostname.

e.g.
If your main node was started with "erl -sname ejabberd ..." on the host
ds2248.flosoft-servers.net, use:
-mnesia extra_db_nodes "['ejabberd at ds2248']"

If your main node was started with "erl -name ejabberd ..." on the host
ds2248.flosoft-servers.net, use:
-mnesia extra_db_nodes "['ejabberd at ds2248.flosoft-servers.net']"

Two other possible gotchas:
3) Make sure that the .erlang.cookie in the ejabberd user's home
directory on the second machine is the same as on the system you're
trying to cluster with. (Note: the .erlang.cookie file generally does
*not* have a newline at the end, so if you just open the file in an
editor, copy the text from the first server, and save, the editor will
add a newline -- causing clustering to fail). This is true for
UNIX/Linux type systems. I don't know where the erlang cookie is stored
on Windows types systems.

4) clustering is not IP transparent. i.e. if example1.net and
example2.net both resolve to 1.2.3.4, they still aren't equivalent:
ejabberd at example1.net and ejabberd at example2.net are not equivalent. The
name you use needs to be the same one you get with the "hostname"
command on the main server. (Again, that's true for UNIX/Linux. I'm not
sure about Windows)

To see what node name is being use on the server you're trying to
cluster with, run this command on the main server:
erl -sname test -eval 'io:format("~nMy node: ~p~n",[node()]), halt().'

(If the main ejabberd was started with -name, replace -sname with -name
in the above command)