[ejabberd] RTMP video and audio with ejabberd

Pablo Platt pablo.platt at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 04:00:58 MSD 2008

RTMP is the low level protocol used in Flash to stream video.

red5 is an open source java server that use this protocol to stream video, enable video conference... http://osflash.org/red5

erlyvideo is an erlang server that I suppose to have the same functionality as red5
but it is not ready and I'm not sure when it is suppose to be stable http://code.google.com/p/erlyvideo/

OpenFire has a red5 plugin. The XMPP server handle the handshaking and red5 handle the RTMP connections and streaming.
http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/blogs/ignite/2008/05/05/flashbased-audio-in-openfire-part-ii

I think that ejabberd being a powerful XMPP server probably have most of red5 functionality
except for the actual RTMP streams functionality.

Ejabberd module for handling RTMP will be fantastic.
A user will create a new type of pubsub node for live streaming through XMPP and broadcast to it using Flash.
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/jingle-rtmp.html
Other users will be able to subscribe to this node using XMPP and get the live stream using Flash.
The module will parse the RTMP packets and broadcast it to all the subscribed users.

I thought that maybe mod_proxy65 combined with pubsub and the RTMP parsing from erlyvideo could be a start.

I'll appreciate your comments.