[ejabberd] Making ejabberd 2.0.1 work with gmail.com accounts

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 23:29:24 MSD 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Andreas <andreas at unstable.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 01:02:54PM -0400, Sean Dilda wrote:
>> What Iyou need to do is configure your jabber server to use SRV records.
>>   Instructions for doing this can be found here:
>> http://www.ejabberd.im/fix-dns-srv
>
> Whoops, that's what I wanted to say. All distros should really include this
> as the default config.

Mickael Remond previously mentioned that the binary installers of
ejabberd include the inetrc fix.
The 'ejabberdctl' script included in the source code package does in
fact provide the same feature.

It was first included in 'ejabberdctl' in SVN r959 [1], and received
two more updates in r1029 [2] and r1049 [3]. That was the version of
the file included in ejabberd 2.0.0, and remains identical in 2.0.1.

Technical note: in ejabberdctl, instead of passing '-kernel inetrc
FILEPATH', it uses the ERL_INETRC environment variable, as documented
in Erlang/OTP Inets documentation [4]. That possibility was introduced
in Erlang/OTP in R10B-5 [5]. This possibility can be used by ejabberd
2.0.1 because it already requires R10B-9 or newer [6]. In addition,
this is also documented in ejabberd Guide [7].

In ejabberd 1.1.4 there wasn't yet an 'ejabberdctl' start script like now.
Hence that inetrc feature was impossible to be implemented in 1.1.4 or older.
The packagers that dealed with ejabberd 1.1.4 and older,
they had to invest additional time writting custom start scripts.
So I guess the inetrc feature is missing in many old ejabberd 1.x packages,
but will be included progressively as ejabberd 2.x (and 'ejabberdctl')
is adopted.

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Sergei Golovan <sgolovan at nes.ru> wrote:
> On 6/17/08, Mickaël Rémond <mickael.remond at process-one.net> wrote:
>> For your information, it is the case in the binary installer.
>
> Which means that the source package has inferior quality with respect
> to the binary installer. But it's forbidden by ejabberd license.

No, it seems you extracted conclusions too quickly :)

The source package includes a start script as good as the binary
installer. If it weren't, then there would be a bug requiring to be
fixed, or a misfeature that deserves to be implemented.

For instance, a feature that I aim to be implemented in ejabberdctl is
to "Install and execute ejabberd with a dedicated system user" [8]

[1] https://forge.process-one.net/changelog/ejabberd?cs=959
[2] https://forge.process-one.net/changelog/ejabberd?cs=1029
[3] https://forge.process-one.net/changelog/ejabberd?cs=1149
[4] http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/inet_cfg.html