[ejabberd] handshake_we_started error?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Jun 19 21:53:44 MSD 2008

Hi, all,

I'm attempting to get a new ejabberd 2.0.1 instance running and not
having much luck getting started.  I hope I'm missing something
obvious, and would like a suggestion for where to look next.

I can install and launch ejabberd, apparently without problems.  When
I try to use ejabberdctl to register a user, or do anything, I get an
RPC error like this:

   ejabberdctl register bill bfccomputing.com ********
   RPC failed on the node ejabberd at localhost: nodedown

   =ERROR REPORT==== 19-Jun-2008::13:46:22 ===
   Error in process <0.33.0> on node 'ejabberdctl at borlaug' with exit
value: {badarg,[{erlang,list_to_existing_atom,["ejabberd at borlaug"]},
{dist_util,recv_challenge,1},{dist_util,handshake_we_started,1}]}

Same goes for a status message, even with direct erlang:

   erl -sname ejabberdctl -noinput -pa /usr/lib/ejabberd/ebin -s
ejabberd_ctl -extra ejabberd at localhost status
   RPC failed on the node ejabberd at localhost: nodedown

   =ERROR REPORT==== 18-Jun-2008::01:48:21 ===
   Error in process <0.33.0> on node 'ejabberdctl at borlaug' with exit
value:   {badarg,[{erlang,list_to_existing_atom,["ejabberd at borlaug"]},
{dist_util,recv_challenge,1},{dist_util
,handshake_we_started,1}]}

Googling for this, I see it suggested that there may be a
configuration file error.  I'm trying to keep a very simple config
file at this point.  Erlang says:

  file:consult("/etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg")
1> .
{ok,[{loglevel,4},
      {hosts,["bfccomputing.com"]},
      {listen,[{5222,ejabberd_c2s,
                [{access,c2s},{shaper,c2s_shaper},{max_stanza_size,
65536}]},
               {5269,ejabberd_s2s_in,
                [{shaper,s2s_shaper},{max_stanza_size,131072}]},
               {5280,ejabberd_http,[http_poll,web_admin]}]},
      {auth_method,internal},
      {shaper,normal,{maxrate,1000}},
      {shaper,fast,{maxrate,50000}},
      {acl,admin,{user,"bill","bfccomputing.com"}},
      {acl,local,{user_regexp,[]}},
      {access,max_user_sessions,[{10,all}]},
      {access,local,[{allow,local}]},
      {access,c2s,[{deny,blocked},{allow,all}]},
      {access,c2s_shaper,[{none,admin},{normal,all}]},
      {access,s2s_shaper,[{fast,all}]},
      {access,announce,[{allow,admin}]},
      {access,configure,[{allow,admin}]},
      {access,muc_admin,[{allow,admin}]},
      {access,muc,[{allow,all}]},
      {access,register,[{allow,all}]},
      {access,pubsub_createnode,[{allow,all}]},
      {language,"en"},
      {modules,[{mod_adhoc,[]},
                {mod_announce,[...]},
                {mod_caps,...},
                {...}|...]}]}
2>

I'm using the Fedora packages:
   ejabberd-2.0.1-2.fc8
   ejabberd-doc-2.0.1-2.fc8

I'd like to get this solved, at which point I'll make a little
Quickstart for Fedora folks, as that doesn't appear to exist yet.

Unfortunately I'm not yet an Erlang hacker, so I'm not sure what to
try next.

Thanks,
-Bill

-----