[ejabberd] handshake_we_started error?

Christoph Mewes christoph.mewes at freiheit.com
Fri Jun 20 11:16:19 MSD 2008

Bill McGonigle schrieb:
> Hi, all,
>
> I'm attempting to get a new ejabberd 2.0.1 instance running and not
> having much luck getting started.  I hope I'm missing something
> obvious, and would like a suggestion for where to look next.
>
> I can install and launch ejabberd, apparently without problems.  When
> I try to use ejabberdctl to register a user, or do anything, I get an
> RPC error like this:
>
>    ejabberdctl register bill bfccomputing.com ********
>    RPC failed on the node ejabberd at localhost: nodedown
>
>    =ERROR REPORT==== 19-Jun-2008::13:46:22 ===
>    Error in process <0.33.0> on node 'ejabberdctl at borlaug' with exit
> value: {badarg,[{erlang,list_to_existing_atom,["ejabberd at borlaug"]},
> {dist_util,recv_challenge,1},{dist_util,handshake_we_started,1}]}
>
> Same goes for a status message, even with direct erlang:
>
>    erl -sname ejabberdctl -noinput -pa /usr/lib/ejabberd/ebin -s
> ejabberd_ctl -extra ejabberd at localhost status
>    RPC failed on the node ejabberd at localhost: nodedown
>
>    =ERROR REPORT==== 18-Jun-2008::01:48:21 ===
>    Error in process <0.33.0> on node 'ejabberdctl at borlaug' with exit
> value:   {badarg,[{erlang,list_to_existing_atom,["ejabberd at borlaug"]},
> {dist_util,recv_challenge,1},{dist_util
> ,handshake_we_started,1}]}

this also happens if you try to connect with the wrong hostname (uname
-n vs. localhost for example). be sure you start ejabberd with the same
name as is used in ejabberdctl.

> Googling for this, I see it suggested that there may be a
> configuration file error.  I'm trying to keep a very simple config
> file at this point.  Erlang says:
>
>   file:consult("/etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg")
> 1> .
> {ok,[{loglevel,4},
>       {hosts,["bfccomputing.com"]},
>       {listen,[{5222,ejabberd_c2s,
>                 [{access,c2s},{shaper,c2s_shaper},{max_stanza_size,
> 65536}]},
>                {5269,ejabberd_s2s_in,
>                 [{shaper,s2s_shaper},{max_stanza_size,131072}]},
>                {5280,ejabberd_http,[http_poll,web_admin]}]},
>       {auth_method,internal},
>       {shaper,normal,{maxrate,1000}},
>       {shaper,fast,{maxrate,50000}},
>       {acl,admin,{user,"bill","bfccomputing.com"}},
>       {acl,local,{user_regexp,[]}},
>       {access,max_user_sessions,[{10,all}]},
>       {access,local,[{allow,local}]},
>       {access,c2s,[{deny,blocked},{allow,all}]},
>       {access,c2s_shaper,[{none,admin},{normal,all}]},
>       {access,s2s_shaper,[{fast,all}]},
>       {access,announce,[{allow,admin}]},
>       {access,configure,[{allow,admin}]},
>       {access,muc_admin,[{allow,admin}]},
>       {access,muc,[{allow,all}]},
>       {access,register,[{allow,all}]},
>       {access,pubsub_createnode,[{allow,all}]},
>       {language,"en"},
>       {modules,[{mod_adhoc,[]},
>                 {mod_announce,[...]},
>                 {mod_caps,...},
>                 {...}|...]}]}
> 2>
>
> I'm using the Fedora packages:
>    ejabberd-2.0.1-2.fc8
>    ejabberd-doc-2.0.1-2.fc8
>
> I'd like to get this solved, at which point I'll make a little
> Quickstart for Fedora folks, as that doesn't appear to exist yet.
>
> Unfortunately I'm not yet an Erlang hacker, so I'm not sure what to
> try next.
>
> Thanks,
> -Bill
>
> -----
> Bill McGonigle, Owner           Work: 603.448.4440
> BFC Computing, LLC              Home: 603.448.1668
> bill at bfccomputing.com           Cell: 603.252.2606
> http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Page: 603.442.1833
> Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/
> VCard: http://bfccomputing.com/vcard/bill.vcf

Christoph Mewes
Dipl.-Wi.-Inform.

freiheit.com technologies gmbh
Straßenbahnring 22 / 20251 Hamburg, Germany
fon       +49 (0)40 / 890584-0
fax       +49 (0)40 / 890584-20
HRB Hamburg 70814

FE97 1705 44D3 ED72 1E59  7F3E 2D93 C469 042A 43CD
Geschäftsführer: Claudia Dietze, Stefan Richter, Jörg Kirchhof