[ejabberd] Excessive number of open tcp connections

Sean Dilda sean at duke.edu
Thu May 1 21:02:28 MSD 2008

On the jabber server I run, I monitor the number of TCP connections in
the ESTABLISHED state to ports 5222 and 5223.  I also monitor how many
users ejabberd thinks are logged in (via ejabberdctl).

Sometimes there a slight discrepancy in these sets of numbers, but right
now there's a large discrepancy and I was wondering if anyone knows what
might be happening.

Right now I have 182 users logged on, but 260 tcp connections open.
I've also looked at the list of connected users and I don't see many
cases where one user is logged in multiple times with different resources.

This discrepancy is rather new, it just started this week.
I'm running ejabberd 1.1.4

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Sean