[ejabberd] problem with jabber servers

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu May 8 23:47:32 MSD 2008

> On 05/08/2008 1:30 PM, Sean Dilda wrote:
>> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>>
>>> IMHO SRV records are never strictly required -- you can always fall back
>>> on an A or AAAA record lookup and try port 5269.
>>>
>> I wish that were true, but there are some notable cases where that isn't
>> the fact:
>>
>> [sean at svartalfheim ~]$ telnet gmail.com 5269
>> Trying 64.233.161.83...
>
> OK, except Google... ;-)

What I meant originally was: does Google require your domain to have SRV
records in order to connect? I don't think so. Clearly if your server
software doesn't support SRV lookups you won't be able to connect to
Google Talk, but that's a separate issue.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/