[ejabberd] ejabberd remmembers users after uninstall and re-install

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Thu May 29 23:37:19 MSD 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 2:43 PM, mark peleus <mark.peleus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Few weeks ago I installed ejabberd 2.0.0 on linux VPS.
>
> Yesterday I've uninstalled ejabberd using
> cd /opt/ejabberd-2.0.0
> ./ uninstall

In the binary installers, the following directories are kept [1]:
database/
logs/

> I removed all the ejabberd floder under /opt

Then you removed also the previous directories I mentioned.

> Installed ejabberd 2.0.1 binary
>
> When I logged in to the web admin I see the 5 users I registered on the
> Their rosters are empty now.

Strange. If you use internal auth (the option by default), the user
accounts are stored in the table roster, which content is stored in
the file roster.DCD

> Is ./uninstall suppose to completely uninstall ejabberd with all the data?

No, that would be a surprise to admins.

> What is the correct way to upgrade ejabberd?
> uninstall old version, install new version, copy config files and importing
> the database?

Not needed to copy database back, because the database directory is kept.
Probably the directory config/ should also be kept, I'll ask about this.

Of course, it's a good idea to backup the database and config dires
before upgrading.