[ejabberd] None of my Ejabberd server are able to talk to Gmail

Lionel Dricot zeploum at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 14:01:20 MSK 2008

Hello,

A while ago, I posted about an intermittent s2s connection problem with
gmail. ( http://lists.jabber.ru/pipermail/ejabberd/2008-August/004107.html )
I posted a bug about it : https://support.process-one.net/browse/EJAB-728
There's also a Google thread :
http://groups.google.com/group/google-talk-open/browse_thread/thread/1b8331c35278b980

Since this week-end, it seems that the problem became permanent but also on
a completely unrelated server.

fritalk.com : Ubuntu 8.10 server with Ejabberd 2.0.1-2  None of the domains
(including fritalk.com, fritalk.org and ploum.net) are able to connect to
gmail
frimouvy.org : Debian Etch with Ejabberd 1.1.2-6  None of the domains
(including agora.eu.org and frimouvy.org) are able to connect to gmail

Those two server are completely unrelated and administered by two different
person. The symptoms are always the same : Gmail contacts appears offline
with a "404 remote server not found" error in their status. This problem
happens *only* with gmail contact (I'm pretty confident about this point.
The logs never show any failure for other servers).

The fact that two unrelated servers suffer the same fate seems to indicate
that there's a problem with Ejabberd and or Gmail. Has anybody seen this ?

Also, I would like to explain the problem to my hosting provider. But what
does gmail do that would prevent it to connect where other servers don't
have any problem ? Is there special ports or something ?