[ejabberd] Multi user games with ejabberd

Pablo Platt pablo.platt at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 02:26:54 MSK 2008

Hi,

What is the best approach to create a multy user web game with ejabberd?
There are two main use cases:
1. 1 on 1 game like a chess game. A slightly more complicated scenario will enable observers.
2. Multiple players like a poker game.

I'm more interested in the first case, a chess game. There is a spec but it is not improved and seem forgotten:
http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/chess.html

I also have a feeling that PubSub should be the way to go and not creating a new protocol.
I thought of creating a node per game. The two players will have permissions to publish to that node.
One problem is that when a player publish an item to the game node - a chess move, the PubSub mechanism will send all the subscribers the move.
The player that makes the move will get the move data and that's a waste of bandwidth. Is there a way to publish the item to all the subscribers except for the publisher? I'll appreciate other ideas and experience.

Thanks