[ejabberd] Multi user games with ejabberd

Christopher Zorn christopher.zorn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 17:18:35 MSK 2008

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Pablo Platt <pablo.platt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the best approach to create a multy user web game with ejabberd?
> There are two main use cases:
> 1. 1 on 1 game like a chess game. A slightly more complicated scenario will
> enable observers.
> 2. Multiple players like a poker game.

There are many ways to answer this question. The 'best' way almost fits the
game you want. There has not been much discussion on this topic too. I think
there should be more. :)

> I'm more interested in the first case, a chess game. There is a spec but it
> is not improved and seem forgotten:
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/chess.html
>
> I also have a feeling that PubSub should be the way to go and not creating
> a new protocol.
> I thought of creating a node per game. The two players will have
> permissions to publish to that node.
> One problem is that when a player publish an item to the game node - a
> chess move, the PubSub mechanism will send all the subscribers the move.
> The player that makes the move will get the move data and that's a waste of
> bandwidth. Is there a way to publish the item to all the subscribers except
> for the publisher? I'll appreciate other ideas and experience.

Chesspark (http://chesspark.com) uses ejabberd and uses MUC and Pubsub to
handle different ways to broadcast game messages. There are plans to
document the protocol and make it easier for developers to join in and write
their own chess clients.