[ejabberd] What's involved in fixing memory usage issues with SSL/TLS?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 18:46:52 MSK 2008

Douglas sparked this informative thread a couple of weeks ago
http://www.nabble.com/Memory-use-with-SSL-connections-td19832025.html

And it's formally reported by Sean Dilda in May as
https://support.process-one.net/browse/EJAB-647 - is there any
interest in addressing this issue? What's involved?

Seems to me that SSL is probably being loaded for each process rather
than once -- that would explain the huge mem footprint we see, and we
know that SSL internally does not use 1MB per connection - or other
daemons would be in trouble too - and they aren't :-).  The OpenSSL
library is reentrant / thread-safe so loading it earlier seems
possible.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions