[ejabberd] What's involved in fixing memory usage issueswithSSL/TLS?

George Hazan george.hazan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 14:53:15 MSK 2008

   Hello, Jeffrey!
   Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:26:18 -0500 you wrote:

JR> I was wondering if anyone else got similar results.

Fortunately not :)

JR> On our server with over 3GB of ram, ejabberd dies with just over 5,000
JR> users. Meanwhile with TLS off I can have well over 40,000 users online
JR> with no problem.

Do you store data in mnesia or in MySQL/Posgres?
What does erlang:memory(). says?

Do you have 64-bit OS/erlang? In 32-bit OS you can easily reach the memory
limit per process.

JR> I had a while loop dumping data every 2 seconds during the benchmark
JR> test and this was the last output right before it died.

On 4029 tls connections + 3875 usual ones:

  PID USERNAME   THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
 8110 ejabberd     5  20    0  1678M  1433M kserel 0 673:22  0.00% beam
FreeBSD 6.3, erlang R12B4, ejabberd 2.0.2 over MySQL.

Perhaps you need to add those options from Eugene's message to your
start.sh.

--
WMBR, George Hazan (ghazan at postman.ru)