[ejabberd] PubSub node names and ejabberd

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 00:14:30 MSK 2008

	I'm also not happy with the default ejabberd implementation. In fact,
the only thing it appears to be useful for is PEP support (which would
have been nicer if done outside of mod_pubsub - the amount of
integration between mod_pubsub, nodetree_default, and nodetree is
unreal).

	That said, it appears to be possible to implement all of XEP-0248
inside a nodetree, as long as you're willing to not use anything in
nodetree_default. The most annoying thing about it is the records used
to pass data between the nodetree, node, and mod_pubsub modules. The
other issue is that node names are automatically split on "/" to
create lists of nodes for a path. That's just plain wrong, but can at
least be reversed pretty easily.

	In summation, if you just ignore the bad parts of ejabberd's pubsub
schema (most of it) and reimplement large chunks of what mod_pubsub
should be doing in a nodetree, you can make ejabberd work.

	All told, I'm sure everyone would be happier with a compliant
mod_pubsub.

-bjc