[ejabberd] Memory use with SSL connections

Evgeniy Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 14:07:21 MSD 2008

Douglas Bagnall wrote:

>Does ejabberd use a wide range of OpenSSL's functionality

No, it doesn't. It uses only encryption functions and certificate checks.

>or might
>one of the light libraries with flakey standards coverage (e.g.,
>yassl) work well enough?

OpenSSL has a very important benefit: it doesn't require socket
descriptors to be passed to it's API functions. Other libraries (gnutls,
yassl) need sockets to be passed to their functions (furthermore,
sockets must be in blocking mode!!), but this is not acceptable in
Erlang of course. At least I didn't see alternative libraries without
this restriction.

--
Regards,
Evgeniy Khramtsov, ProcessOne.