[ejabberd] Multiple clients over a single connection?

Dirk Meyer dmeyer at tzi.de
Mon Oct 20 15:56:21 MSD 2008

Arne Claassen wrote:
> I know this might be out of scope for ejabberd and is more general
> Xmpp, but is there a way to have a single connection represent
> multiple JIDs at the same time? I mean the stanzas generally have to
> and from, so is it possible for a single connection to be the endpoint
> for a number of JIDs and simply send out its messages and replies
> encoded with the right from?

If they share the same bare JID and only use different resources you
could use http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0193.html

But IIRC ejabberd does not suppoort this.

> I have a number of daemons that talk over xmpp as their message bus.
> Currently a single physical process can handle a number of these
> daemons, but i currently require a separate connection back to
> ejabberd for each one. Since it seems like it takes just under 100KB
> per connection (maybe that's just per presence and less sockets buy me
> nothing), it would seem there is a lot of ejabberd memory footprint
> savings that could be realized.

Same here, that feature would also be great for me to have.

Dirk

--
"Actors," said Granny, witheringly. "As if the world weren't full
of enough history without inventing more."