[ejabberd] blocking send and latency

Jack Moffitt jack at chesspark.com
Mon Oct 27 19:53:29 MSK 2008

We've still be trying to track down a few issues of latency in
ejabberd without much luck.  Yesterday as I was thinking about the
design of a new project in Erlang, I discovered that gen_tcp:send is
blocking and that a non-blocking version does not exist.  The solution
to this is just to use another process and send it messages, but I
noticed that ejabberd does not seem to do this.  Am I correct in my
conclusion that ejabberd_c2s and ejabberd_s2s will block the
connection on any large message sends?  It might explain some of the
latency issues we've experienced.

If this is the case, it would be good to get this fixed :)  I wanted
to post here before I filed a bug just to make sure I'm not missing
something.

jack.