[ejabberd] Fwd: directed presence issue

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Sep 1 03:09:08 MSD 2008

Jack Moffitt wrote:
>> Why would there be no resources online?   jid1 IS sending an online
>> presence message, it's just directed at jid2.   Why wouldn't ejabberd
>> honor that presence message?
>
> The spec defines an online resource as one that has established a
> presence session by sending intial presence.  Initial presence is a
> presence packet with no to and no type attribute.
>
> So the reason is that this is how the core XMPP protocol is defined.

Not so fast. :)

I think that if a resource is connected but has not yet sent presence,
it can still engage in messaging, because the routing and delivery rules
in RFC 3920 apply (not the more presence-aware rules in RFC 3921).

So IMHO jid1 should be able to do this:

1. Establish stream, authenticate, bind resource.

2. Send message to jid2.

3. Receive reply from jid2.

This is, in essence, presence-less messaging, and I see no reason why
the rules in RFC 3921 would trump the rules in RFC 3920 on this point.
However, perhaps that needs to be clarified in rfc3921bis.

/psa