[ejabberd] connection limit in ejabberd

Stephan Maihöfer sma at turtle-entertainment.de
Tue Sep 9 20:09:21 MSD 2008

hi,

it is 2.0.1.

> > database just fine. but when i do this two or three times in a row
> > ejabberd just "stops" communicating to my library.
> > the last thing i do from the client that then crashes is send the
> > stream-start and then wait for an answer which does not get
> through to
> > ejabberd at all according to the logfiles...
>
> Probably this isn't the reason, but you can also check
> http://svn.process-one.net/ejabberd/trunk/doc/guide.html#modregister
>
> To disable this limitation about XEP-0077 registrations, add to your
> ejabberd.cfg:
> {registration_timeout, infinity}.

i already had that...does not help.

> > i removed all the shapers from the ejabberd.cfg and fiddled with
>
> The correct way to remove a limitation using a configurable option is:
> A) define the option with value you want.

i now put all the users in the normal shaper, and
defined that as

{shaper, normal, {maxrate, 1000000000}}.

that does not really help either...i get the same behaviour.

> As a quick and dirty bypass to the problem, you can try
> adding a delay of 1 second after each request in your client code.

That is just no feasible, since that would mean that
a user with 100 buddies would have to wait about 100 seconds
until his data is "synced" with the jabber-db...that is
far too long. but does your suggestion imply that it may be
that ejabberd has something like "too many connections per ip"
or somethign to that extend?

i was even thinking about looking at the maximum allowed open
file descriptors of my system...but that should be sufficently
high.

regarding he mail by jack moffitt: we would rather have users
be "synced" on the fly, since that gives us and easier way
to later disable or "resync" users. apart from that we will
have lots of requests anyhow, if this "migration" of a few
hundred users brings the server/library to its knees we have
to really think again about how we want to do things...

greetings,
stephan