[ejabberd] Custom PEP nodes in ejabberd

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Sep 11 18:14:33 MSD 2008

Eric Cestari wrote:

>> Reading Jack Moffit's blog post  [1] and Microbloggling over XMPP  has
>> given me quite a bit of inspiration :)
>> I submitted this
>> patch https://support.process-one.net/browse/EJAB-739, this morning.
>>

>> It enables mapping a PEP namespace to a specific node plugin :
>>

>> {mod_pubsub, [ % requires mod_caps
>> {access_createnode, pubsub_createnode},
>> {plugins, ["default", "pep","microblog"]},
>> {pep_mapping, [{"urn:xmpp:microblog", "microblog"}]}
>> ]},
>>

>> A user creating a PEP node in namespace urn:xmpp:microblog would have
>> create a node_microblog in ejabberd.
>> That would enable us to enforce the XML in the payload, have a
>> specific storage solution.

It's not clear to me exactly what your patch does. Does it mainly
enforce the payload namespace/content?

>> [2] http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/microblogging.html

Clearly we need to publish that as a real XEP.

BTW, I've noticed that services like identi.ca send a microblogging
message in multiple formats -- typically plaintext message body,
XHTML-IM, and Atom. Perhaps it would be helpful to describe and codify
that approach somewhat.

/psa