[ejabberd] empathy jingle and ejabberd

Michael Flaig mflaig at pro-linux.de
Sat Sep 13 02:26:02 MSD 2008

Hi,

as I understand jingle there are 2 possible ways to transport video and
voice. The first is similar to sip, xmpp is used to do signaling and
chat but audio and video goes directly from client to client using RTP
Protocol. Another, newer mode is to have RTP inline in jingle, which
routes video and voice through the jabber server, of course puts more
stress on the server and increases latency, but allows to use jingle if
there is no direct connection to the internet.
Anyway, the first mode is the common one and will be finalized soon (as
in XEP going to draft state). If you have 2 devices behind NAT you need
a STUN server, as it is the case with SIP.

Hope I did not misunderstand some of the jingle stuff and wrote
incorrect things here... if so, I'm sorry and would appreciate
correction :-)

Empathy uses telepathy which is also used in the Nokia N810 (or
basically telepathy development was driven by nokia to use in maemo,
their internet tablet OS) to allow voice and video calls using jingle.
I already had success calling from empathy to empathy and also empathy
to n810. Of course n8xx to n8xx works like a charme.

So shot: jingle does not required anything special from the server.
If you want to get to the bottom of you problem I suggest looking into
the packets empathy send out with a packet tracer like wireshark.

HTH,

	mfl