[ejabberd] Question about dumping mnesia databases, importing to PostgreSQL

Allie allie at internalreflection.net
Sun Sep 21 10:35:53 MSD 2008

Hi all, new ejabberd user here and I'm a tad confused.  When I
initially set up my server, I didn't realize the odbc parameters I
set did not automatically apply to all the other modules that could
use it, and didn't realize that rosters and such are handled by
different modules.  So, I'm trying to figure out how to dump the
databases and try to get them imported into PostgreSQL so I can point
the modules at the database.

Anyway, the help and documentation for ejabberdctl says, "ejabberdctl
dump file" to dump a database to a text file.  What exactly does this
mean?  Is "file" the resulting text file name?  Is that a word that's
part of the command?  No matter what combination I use, I can't seem
to find any output files in any of the ejabberd directories.  It also
doesn't give me any sort of error.  What am I doing wrong?  Is there
any easy way to get the mnesia data into PostgreSQL?

I'm running ejabberd 2.0.2 on FreeBSD 6.2, using PostgreSQL 8.2.7 for
the back-end.  I *think* erlang's version is r12b4 (installed from
FreeBSD ports), and I've compiled in the pgsql module from svn.
Thank you for any help or information you can provide. :)

Allie