[ejabberd] removing nodes from cluster

Stephan Maihöfer sma at turtle-entertainment.de
Fri Sep 26 19:42:10 MSD 2008

well,

right now the problem is that the database of the node was deleted
and i want to integrate it to the cluster again, using the same name.

when i try to do this from scratch i get this:

erl -name ejabberd at ejabberd2.example.com -mnesia extra_db_nodes "['ejabberd at ejabberd1.example.com']" -s mnesia
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5.2 [source] [64-bit] [async-threads:0] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.5.2  (abort with ^G)
(ejabberd at ejabberd2.example.com)1> Mnesia('ejabberd at ejabberd2.example.com'): Data may be missing, Corrupt logfile deleted: "/root/Mnesia.ejabberd at ejabberd2.example.com/LATEST.LOG", {file_error,
                                                                                                                                            "/root/Mnesia.ejabberd at ejabberd2.example.com/LATEST.LOG",
                                                                                                                                            enoent}

=ERROR REPORT==== 26-Sep-2008::17:38:05 ===
Mnesia('ejabberd at ejabberd2.example.com): ** ERROR ** (core dumped to file: "/root/MnesiaCore.ejabberd at ejabberd2.example.com_1222_443485_377467")
 ** FATAL ** Cannot open log file "/root/Mnesia.ejabberd at ejabberd2.example.com/LATEST.LOG": {file_error,
                                                                                           "/root/Mnesia.ejabberd at ejabberd2.example.com/LATEST.LOG",
                                                                                           enoent}

BREAK: (a)bort (c)ontinue (p)roc info (i)nfo (l)oaded
       (v)ersion (k)ill (D)b-tables (d)istribution
ejabberd2:~#

i guess that stems from ejabberd1 still having some kind of "messed up" state of the database at the "old"
ejabberd2...i don't know how to fix that.

second thing is, with "cloud computing" we would bring up and down nodes as we need them and
would always have a large list of inactive nodes. apart from being kind of ugly...doesnt that somehow
slow mnesia down because it has to keep track of all the states on these nodes that are never
to be used again?

greetings,
stephan