[ejabberd] Facebook transport

Michael Ossareh michael at heysan.com
Tue Sep 30 02:35:07 MSD 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Simon Tennant <simon at imaginator.com> wrote:
> We would like to connect our network to Facebook's.
>
> I was reading the following article about how Adium got things working:
>
> http://coderrr.wordpress.com/2008/05/06/facebook-chat-api/
>
> Our backend is currently an SVN-almost-trunk of ejabberd.
>
> I was thinking that the best way to think about doing this is via custom
> transport similar to how PyMSN works.
>
> How would you approach this problem?  (No, Facebook are not returning my
> calls about XMPP federation.)
>
> D.
> --
> Simon Tennant _____________________________________________
>
> fixed: .uk +44 20 7043 6756          .de +49 89 420 955 854
>  mob: .uk +44 78 5335 6047          .de +49 17 8545 0880

We have facebook integrated through XMPP. They're not doing a full
launch for some reason. I spoke to Henri at facebook and he was rather
skittish about XMPP access; citing security reasons for not wanting
facebook users to input their username/passwords for facebook into
other sites.

Since they're working over XMPP we merely took our gateway code and
integrated the XMPP layer. Pretty much exactly what we do with gtalk.
The primary bit we had to work on was their auth.

Ebuddy have recently launched facebook chat by doing it the way that
adium do it. We emailed facebook to see if they'd given ebuddy some
early bird access and they said they don't condone that type of usage,
its outside of the terms of service, and they're not sure what they'll
do to people that abuse that. I say do it - but be aware :)

--
"Don't go through life, grow through life."
- Eric Butterworth