[ejabberd] freebsd upgrade and now auth failures

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Apr 9 15:11:04 MSD 2009

> I can describe some general concepts, and probably you will then
> notice what is the configuration problem in your case. Note that I
> reference to file names used in the standard ejabberd source package.
> If you use some binary package, the file names and locations may
> change.

freebsd from source.  names match

> There are two different concepts here. They are completely independent:
>
> 1. The Jabber hostnames.
> http://svn.process-one.net/ejabberd/trunk/doc/guide.html#hostnames
> This concept is common to all Jabber/XMPP programs, including ejabberd.
> In ejabberd the hostnames are defined in /etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg
> with the option host or hosts:
> {hosts, ["example.net", "example.com"]}.
>
> 2. The Erlang node name (sometimes also called 'node name', 'ejabberd
> node name', ...).
> http://svn.process-one.net/ejabberd/trunk/doc/guide.html#nodename
> This concept is common to all Erlang/OTP applications, including ejabberd.
> In ejabberd the Erlang node name is by default 'ejabberd at localhost'.
> In ejabberd the node name can be:
> * specified at runtime:
>   /sbin/ejabberdctl --name ejabberd3 at machine1
> * defined in /etc/ejabberd/ejabberdctl.cfg:
>   ERLANG_NODE=ejabberd3 at machine1

this sounds like it!  there was no ejabberdctl.cfg in the old config so
i did not dig through it in the new one.  my bad!

> An easy solution is to define as new node name the same than you used
> in old installation.
> For example, put in ejabberdctl.cfg:
>   ERLANG_NODE=ejabberd at jabber.psg.com

progress!  thank you!

work0.psg.com:/root# ejabberdctl status
RPC failed on the node 'ejabberd at jabber.psg.com': nodedown

=ERROR REPORT==== 9-Apr-2009::10:57:43 ===
Error in process <0.33.0> on node 'ejabberdctl at work0.psg.com' with exit value: {badarg,[{erlang,list_to_existing_atom,["ejabberd at localhost"]},{dist_util,recv_challenge,1},{dist_util,handshake_we_started,1}]}

i see two oddities

  o 'ejabberdctl at work0.psg.com' that is indeed the hostname, but why is
    ejabberdctl bound to it?

  o ejabberd at localhost is sticking.  do i maybe need to restore
    spool/mnesia from 1.x days as it has been mashed in some way?

randy