[ejabberd] Ejabberd installed & started but port 5222 not active

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 9 17:31:58 MSD 2009

Vinod KP wrote:

> I have installed ejabberd 2.0.2 on gentoo with erlang-12.2.3-r1, edited
> the ejabberd.cfg added the hostname & admin user entries. When I start
> the service it starts up fine but only a random port opens up every time.
> The port 5222 never opens up.
1) Kill all running instances of beam, beam.smp and empd processes.
2) Delete the logs.
3) Start again.
4) Search the logs for messages tagged "ERROR" or "CRASH".
5) Look for "erl_crash.dump" files.
6) Run `netstat -nlp` to see what process opens that "random" port you
mentioned.

If you will collect any useful info while performing steps 4-6, post it
here. But if you find any errors in the logs, first try to search for
their key words on www.jabber.im.

If you tinkered with the config file, you could as well have introduced
an error there. To check this, run the Erlang shell (`erl` program) then
execute there

{ok, _} = file:consult("/path/to/ejabberd.cfg"), ok.

(notice the trailing dot).
If you get "ok" back, your config file is syntactically correct, and if
it dumps some big error message on you, it probably isn't.