[ejabberd] Automatic roster approval for presence info (using extauth)

Belorion belorion at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 01:14:46 MSD 2009

ejabberd 2.0.5 on Windows XP

We have ejabberd running on a local network using extauth against a custom
C# program that authenticates against our own SQL Server database.  We are
building an application around XMPP communication, and one component of this
application is the presence of a bot on the network.

I haven't had any problems sending messages to/from the bot without adding
people to the bots roster, and vice versa.  However, the only way I get
presence data is if the bot is on the users roster and vice versa.

Is there a way that this presence visibility can be automatically enabled?
I see in the ejabberd2 web interface has a "shared" roster.  Do shared
rosters work with extauth? This post
http://www.ejabberd.im/shared-roster-all from 2005 suggests that shared
rosters will *not* work with extauth ... but the post is also almost 4 years
old.  Is this still the case?  I tried it and couldn't get it to work, but
it wasn't clear to me what I was actually doing with the shared roster so
wasn't sure I was even doing it right anyway.

The user client in this system doesn't actually use any presence information
directly - only the bot does.  So, only this bot needs to get presence info
about any user from the local jabber network.  Is this possible?

regards,
Matt