[ejabberd] Stanza Acknowledgement

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 17:57:16 MSD 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Simon Tennant<simon at imaginator.com> wrote:

>> XEP-0198 is a crunch :)
>> As for me, SCTP transport is a better solution.
> Agreed. I'd love to have everyone implement SCTP ... but so far our
> calls to Blackberry, Apple, Nokia, Samsung to modify their stacks go
> unanswered.

;)

Well SCTP (I've just peeked into some doc) could be emulated at the
top of UDP or TCP (the latter would be better)  but I don't know at
what price. Native SCTP is a non go.

> The reality is that network operaters will still mangle packets on their
> NAT gateways so a solution as to be on the APP layer.

Yes, in any case any "reliable" transport need to be handled at the
APP level in same way, because if a message is queued for delivery,
the connection breaks just after, and the client isn't able to recover
the transport, the message is lost. Therefore also implementing SCTP
you need to mangle your session management or you can't say to have
reliable messaging

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com