[ejabberd] error while creating admin user

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 21 20:17:40 MSK 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 17:52:10 +0100
Gabriel Rossetti <gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com> wrote:

> >> ~# ejabberdctl register admin test.com 12345
> >> RPC failed on the node ejabberd at srv1: {'EXIT',
> >>                                        {badarg,
> >>                                         [{erlang,port_control,
> >>                                           [stringprep_port,1,"test.com"]},
> >>                                          {stringprep,control,2},
> >>                                          {jlib,nameprep,1},
> >>                                          {ejabberd_auth,auth_modules,1},
> >>                                          {ejabberd_auth,is_user_exists,2},
> >>                                          {ejabberd_auth,try_register,3},
> >>                                          {ejabberd_ctl,process,1},
> >>                                          {rpc,'-handle_call/3-fun-0-',5}]}}
> >>
> >> The logs don't contain anything more, I am using version 2.0.1-2 and I
> >> checked to make sure ejabberd was running.
> >> Does anyone know what is wrong?
> >>

> > Looks like this one: http://www.ejabberd.im/node/3698#comment-54762
> >

> Hmmm, strange because I have another server with "Erlang R13B01
> (erts-5.7.2) [source] [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0]
> [kernel-poll:false]" and ejabberd 2.0.5-1.1 and it works great, maybe
> the ubuntu team applied the patch though. I will keep on searching,
> thank you.

This problem has nothing to do with the version of Erlang runtime;
it looks like a failure to load a shared library written in C which
implements STRINGPREP Unicode profile support for ejabberd.
I might be wrong, of course, but I've seen this several times
(mostly from Gentoo and other source-based distros), and the forum posts
I gave links to suggest the same.

P.S.
I doubt Ubuntu team applied anything, as ejabberd in Ubuntu seems to be
unmaintained, and hence they just copy packages from Debian, and there
ejabberd does not have such problem.

Also your setup now appears to be a bit weird to me: at the time Debian
packaged ejabberd 2.0.1, there were no R13 Erlang/OTP release yet.
Did you really mean you're using ejabberd 2.1.0-2 Ubuntu package?