[ejabberd] mnesia corruption with concurrent ejabberdctl usage

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 21:18:27 MSK 2009

2009/12/28 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Badlop <badlop at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/12/28 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
>>> Is this normal? Expected? My reading of the Programming Erlang book
>>> led me to believe mnesia ops would be sanely concurrent...
>>
>> Show a pair of those error messages.
>
> bits of a crash dump here
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2009-December/004402.html

Those are generated when attempting to start ejabberdctl for some
command, see next one.

> Testing experimentally with a couple of xterms open, calling
> srg-list-groups or srg-get-info while groups are being manipulated
> with srg-user-add/srg-user-del spews a ton of errors.

> ejabberdctl connected-users error here
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2009-December/004407.html

> #ejabberdctl --node ejabberd at schoolserver connected-users
> {error_logger,{{2009,12,17},{10,0,25}},"Protocol: ~p: register error:
> ~p~n",["inet_tcp",{{badmatch,{error,duplicate_name}},

See
http://www.ejabberd.im/error/duplicate_name

They are easy to reproduce:
1. In a shell:
$ erl -sname node1
2. In another shell:
$ erl -sname node1
3.You will get that error message about duplicate_name

> more
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2009-December/004411.html

> The server had an uptime of about 50 days before this occurred.

I don't know if your ejabberdctl shell script has the problem
described in this thread/message:
http://lists.jabber.ru/pipermail/ejabberd/2009-September/005351.html

> here you can see beam taking 400MB...
> http://pastebin.com/m3426a094
>
> I think the reporter has a tarball of the corrupt /var/lib/ejabberd --
> and he might be able to share it if it helps.

---
Badlop
ProcessOne