[ejabberd] Fwd: Question about mod_vcard_odbc and lowercase columns.

Guillaume Perrot guillaume.perr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 19:40:46 MSK 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Guillaume Perrot <guillaume.perr at gmail.com>
Date: 2009/2/2
Subject: [ejabberd] Question about mod_vcard_odbc and lowercase columns.
To: alexey at process-one.net

Hi,
I am using ejabberd (2.0.2) and I am editing the mod_vcard_odbc module to
allow to search for more fields.
Apparently you're the original author of this file.
I saw the mysql table vcard_search schema and I am confused about one thing:
All columns are duplicated to a lowercase version, which is indexed.
As far as I tested, the LIKE sql operator is totally case-insensitive so I
wondered the reason why using lowercase index columns.
Does it speed up lookups a lot ?
Best regards,
--
Guillaume Perrot