[ejabberd] Cannot send messages to other contacts in the list.

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 12 19:14:47 MSK 2009

Michael Fernández M wrote:

>>> When they send a message I see in the log the following...
>>> =INFO REPORT==== 2009-01-10 11:16:36 ===
>>> D(<0.334.0>:ejabberd_router:301) : route
>>>        from {jid,"michael","atali.michael.cl",[],"michael",
>>>                  "atali.michael.cl",[]}
>>>        to {jid,"michael","atali.michael.cl","Home","michael",
>>>                "atali.michael.cl","Home"}
>>>        packet {xmlelement,"iq",
>>>                   [{"type","error"},{"id","purple66302a5c"}],
>>>                   [{xmlelement,"ping",[{"xmlns","urn:xmpp:ping"}],[]},
>>>                    {xmlelement,"error",
>>>                        [{"code","503"},{"type","cancel"}],
>>>                        [{xmlelement,"service-unavailable",
>>>
>>> [{"xmlns","urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"}],
>>>                             []}]}]}
>>>
>> It looks like you are trying to ping empty resource.
> What do you mean with "It looks like you are trying to ping empty
> resource"...
This stanza means: the server sent a "service-unavailable" error to the
michael at atali.michael.cl/Home in response to an "IQ ping" stanza the
client bound to that JID+resource sent to michael at atali.michael.cl,
which is a bare JID. Your client appears to be something based on
libpurple, i.e. Pidgin or Adium.

I'm not sure it's really related to your problem, though.

So my suggestion is simple:
1) Get some "real" XMPP client (Tkabber, Psi, Gajim, JAJC, Exodus);
2) Test how your messaging works between a pair of such XMPP clients.

If it works, blame whatever software you're using on the client's part;
if it doesnt, please come up here with more precise explanation of your
setup and intentions.

Note that unless you're getting some ERROR items in your ejabberd log,
it's rather improbable that plain messaging doesn't work due to a
server's misbehaving.