[ejabberd] Clustered deployments

Carlos Abalde carlos.abalde at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 22:36:23 MSD 2009

> I have set up a cluster.
> Each node runs its own user database. User at different nodes are able
> to chat each other, though.
> You need a dns server to distribute requests among nodes.
> If you want to register at one node and automatically register at all
> nodes, you have to link all nodes to one external database such as
> postresql or mysql. This way, the databases is not a cluster.
>
> I did not try front end, backend stuff.

Thanks! In fact I also running a deployment composed by several ejabberd
clusters and load balancers distributing requests among cluster
instances. In that type on large scale environment, I think would be
useful to split incoming connection management, session handling and
message routing. Thats why I'm so interested in the frontend/backend
stuff in ejabberd.

Anyway, after doing a few experiments which dedicated frontend and
backend nodes I've discovered some implementation issues. It seems
possible to do some quick workarounds to enable the component
separation, but the point is that it seems to be undocumented just
because it's unfinished. I don't know...

--
Carlos.