[ejabberd] Seeing users' genders: implementation opinions?

Gabriel Soto gabsoto at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 01:19:59 MSD 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Andy Skelton <skeltoac at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Gabriel Soto<gabsoto at gmail.com> wrote:
> > For this application the gender of each user should be known by other
> users.
>
> boys.server.com
> girls.server.com

Thanks.
If I get you right that would be using two virtual hosts and registering
each user on one or the other depending on their gender.
Looks quite promising.

I can see some problems right now:

1. It's *desirable* that the users could change their gender once
registered. Heh.
However, I think we could evaluate the alternative of the gender being fixed
if this solution proves to be viable.

2. The users would have to type in the domain part of the JIDs in some
places, like when logging in or when adding contacts, which is something we
want to avoid.
Also, I'm not sure if we could come up with domain names that don't feel
awkward to the users.

Would these be solvable in some way?