[ejabberd] Seeing users' genders: implementation opinions?

Gabriel Soto gabsoto at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 00:18:00 MSD 2009

Thanks a lot for the answers so far.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Andy Skelton <skeltoac at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> boys.server.com
> >> girls.server.com
> >
> > I can see some problems right now:
>
> And more problems later on perhaps. I didn't give it more than ten
> seconds thought. I just felt like brainstorming and that seemed like
> something you hadn't thought of yet. :-)

Awesome. I liked your suggestion actually. Keep going :P

To the others: storing the gender is not much of a problem. We actually have
a gender field hacked into the vcard module right now.
The problem is, if I have 500 contacts, I'll have to retrieve 500 vcards on
login. If I enter a chat room with 500 occupants, I'll have to retrieve 500
vcards.
Just to know the genders of the users. It doesn't sound right
efficiency-wise.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Kirk Bateman <kirk.bateman at gmail.com>wrote:

> I was thinking something like vcard for storing the users gender as it
> isn't likely to change often.
>
> Could then store number of male and female contacts as either pubsub or pep
> nodes. One issue though is, if a user changes gender at some point then you
> need to recalculate the number of male and female contacts for everyone that
> has that user on their roster. It might be possible to force recalculation
> at login (during the get roster maybe).

I'm not following. How could I infer who is male or female just by knowing
the numbers?

Thanks again.