[ejabberd] Seeing users' genders: implementation opinions?

Gabriel Soto gabsoto at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 01:16:17 MSD 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Jorge Guntanis <
jorge.guntanis at telcentris.com> wrote:

> You always retrieve the vCard, that's where your avatar comes from, the
> vCard storage is also optimized...

Not in this case, actually. We are using XEP-0084 for avatars (
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0084.html), and while we are using vCards,
they are retrieved on demand.

> You can always create your own module to ask the gender and have this
> gender stored in memcache for even better response times.

That's an option, indeed.
Or, for a more standard approach, we could use PubSub.
My only concern is the increase in traffic that this would cause, mainly for
MUC.
Basically, this would add 2*n messages from clients to the server and back,
every time someone enters a room, where 'n' is the number of occupants and
could be pretty big. (The math is: n messages from the new occupant to
retrieve everyone's gender + n messages from everyone else to get the new
occupant's gender.)
Rethinking it, it doesn't seem like toooo much. What do you think?