[ejabberd] Seeing users' genders: implementation opinions?

Gabriel Soto gabsoto at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 03:35:44 MSD 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 3:54 AM, Jonathan Schleifer
<js-ejabberd at webkeks.org> wrote:

> Am 19.06.2009 um 06:49 schrieb Jorge Guntanis:
>
>> How about presence? since you have control over your UA you could have it parse the presence correctly.
>> something like:
>>
>> available-m
>> available-f
>> away-m
>> away-f
>
> That's breaking the RFC. It would be better to just attach a <male/> or <female/> tag then…

We've evaluated putting a namespaced element inside MUC presence
stanzas to indicate gender (similarly to how it's done in XEP-0172 for
nicks, http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0172.html).
But, in fact, we don't have absolute control over the user agent,
nothing will stop people to send any kind of stuff. Not existing some
appropriate server logic users would be able to fake their gender
locally to a chat room or even not sending it; things that we should
try to avoid.