[ejabberd] shared roster not getting updated when new users get added

Gabriel Rossetti gabriel.rossetti at arimaz.com
Thu Jun 25 18:35:35 MSD 2009

Hello everyone,

I am trying to do this :
    - Have a "Users" group that can see the "Moderators" group
    - Have a "Moderators" group that can see the "Users" group

I added the following shared rosters:

Users:
   Name: Users
   Members: @all@
   Displayed Groups: Moderators

Moderators:
   Name: Moderators
   Members: mod1 at localhost, mod2 at localhost
   Displayed Groups: Users

The problem I'm having is that the shared roster is not getting pushed
to the clients when a new user is created, thus until the moderator is
disconnected it doesn't see the new user and the new user sees the
moderator as disconnected. Once the moderator logs out and logs in
again, everything is ok, both the moderator and the new user see each
other online. This poses problems for me since the moderators are bots
that stays logged in all the time and some are human also, but they log
in and out.

Does anyone know what is wrong and how I may fix it? I am using Ubuntu
8.04 w/ ejabberd v.2.0.1-2
To test this I did the following:

 1) connect a moderator (using the Empathy client)
 2) add a new user though the web gui
 3) connect that user, at this point I would expect both the moderator
and the new user to see each other, but the moderator does not see the
new user and the new user sees the moderator but as offline.
 4) disconnect the moderator
 5) reconnect the moderator, at this point everything is as expected,
both the moderator and the new user see each other and both are online

Thank you,
Gabriel