[ejabberd] memory profiling

Christopher Zorn christopher.zorn at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 00:30:20 MSK 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Lee Azzarello <lee at dropio.com> wrote:

> I'm running ejabberd SVN revision 1978. My application is focused on
> http_bind and mod_muc. A very large number of persistant rooms is
> created and a script cleans them out using mod_muc_admin functions.
> Unfortunately, RAM isn't getting freed and ejabberd has been crashing
> reliably every three days. I'm looking for some advice on how to get
> more detailed information out of ejabberd so I can target the problem.
> RAM is the only resource that's scarce, load and CPU are almost
> invisible.

You can try the eper tools. http://code.google.com/p/eper/

But you can get some information about of the crash dump too. It will tell
you why it crashed and you can find out where by looking at the heap or the
best place usually is to look for "Message queue length:" in the process
information of the dump.

The dump is called erl_crash.dump and most of the time located in the
ejabberd log directory.

The erlang docs for crash dumps help too.
http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/crash_dump.html

I hope this helps. It is at least a place to start.