[ejabberd] Error Reading Mnesia database spool files

Paul Kinlan paul.kinlan at gmail.com
Mon May 18 19:14:31 MSD 2009

Hi Guys,

The past couple of months this has worked perfectly, I have not had to alter
the server even in the slightest.  Today I went to install a new virtual
host, so I change the config by adding my host in to the ejabberd_cfg.  When
I restarted the ejabberd server using the init scripts ejabberd starts but
doesn not listen on any ports, if I do a sudo ejabberd live I get the
following error.

E(<0.40.0>:ejabberd_config:272) : Error reading Mnesia database spool files:
The Mnesia database couldn't read the spool file for the table 'config'.
ejabberd needs read and write access in the directory:
   /var/lib/ejabberd
Maybe the problem is a change in the computer hostname,
or a change in the Erlang node name, which is currently:
   ejabberd at localhost
Check the ejabberd guide for details about changing the
computer hostname or Erlang node name.

I have not changed the host name, or any other configuration (that I can
recall)

Have I hosed the menesia DB?  Should I start again?  I have made the
/var/lib/ejabberd directory globally readable and writeable, however after
following some of the tutorials on the ejabberd.im I can find the "db/"
folder.  The install is a basic install from apt-get on ubuntu.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul.