[ejabberd] Alternate authentication for BOSH clients?

Sean Dilda sean at duke.edu
Sat May 30 00:55:56 MSD 2009

Arne Claassen wrote:
> I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but i'm looking into
> automatically logging users on our site into the our ejabberd server
> when they visit a page using a bosh client. I have an authenticated
> session in the browser and know their user name and jid, but i don't
> want to have a non-secure web page deliver the password to the bosh
> component for login. I'd prefer to let it either use a one-time key or
> pass on the web session key. But at the same time, users should still be
> able to log in with an Xmpp Client and their user/pass. Is there a hook
> in ejabberd for that can either call a webservice for authentication, or
> do i need a custom module? I figure others using ejabberd for presence
> on their website must have run into this before. Any pointers would be
> appreciated.

We faced a similar problem.  We still don't have our web-based jabber
client deployed, but we did get the authentication issue mostly resolved.

We have a Web SSO that was built in house.  To get the SSO working with
webmail, some of our folks had already written a system where the SSO
would generate a short-lived password.  They'd already written a pam
module that they installed on the IMAP server to make everything work.

We adjusted this so our web client grabs the short-time pasword from the
web-sso and passes that password on to ejabberd.  We were already doing
PAM authenticate with ejabberd, so it was easy to modify to use the
other pam module as well.