[ejabberd] fbsd tuning help for ejabberd 2.1.0-rc2

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 22:11:54 MSK 2009

2009/11/5 Jan Koum <jan.koum at gmail.com>:
> the only specific problem i am having difficulty with is increasing tcp
> listen max queue len for the ejabberd:
>
> $ netstat -anL
> Current listen queue sizes (qlen/incqlen/maxqlen)
> Proto Listen         Local Address
> tcp4  0/0/5          *.5222
> tcp4  0/0/128        *.22
> tcp4  0/0/1024       *.443
> tcp4  0/0/128        *.62883
> tcp4  0/0/128        *.4369

Oh, my netstat doesn't have that nice -L option, so I can't see the
backlog in practice.

> how can i change that value?  i looked
> at "backlog" option which was added in 2.1.0-rc1 but documentation states it
> is only for ejabberd_listener:
>
> New option backlog for ejabberd_listener to increase TCP backlog.

That is said in the SVN commit log. ejabberd_listener is the part of
ejabberd that manages all network listeners (c2s, s2s_in, service,
...).

> is there any way i can force ejabberd_c2s to use a custom backlog value?

The Installation and Operation Guide doesn't say in what listeners the
option can be used, or not used.

In summary, I think the option backlog can be used in any listener, in
your case  ejabberd_c2s.

Can you try to put backlog in different listeners, with different values,
and report if it seems to work?
With your results, I'll update the Guide accordingly.

---
Badlop
ProcessOne