[ejabberd] fbsd tuning help for ejabberd 2.1.0-rc2

Jan Koum jan.koum at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 01:05:42 MSK 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Badlop <badlop at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/11/5 Jan Koum <jan.koum at gmail.com>:
> > the only specific problem i am having difficulty with is increasing tcp
> > listen max queue len for the ejabberd:
> >
> > $ netstat -anL
> > Current listen queue sizes (qlen/incqlen/maxqlen)
> > Proto Listen         Local Address
> > tcp4  0/0/5          *.5222
> > tcp4  0/0/128        *.22
> > tcp4  0/0/1024       *.443
> > tcp4  0/0/128        *.62883
> > tcp4  0/0/128        *.4369
>
> Oh, my netstat doesn't have that nice -L option, so I can't see the
> backlog in practice.

heh.. yeah, that's freebsd for ya;)

> > how can i change that value?  i looked
> > at "backlog" option which was added in 2.1.0-rc1 but documentation states
> it
> > is only for ejabberd_listener:
> >
> > New option backlog for ejabberd_listener to increase TCP backlog.
>
> That is said in the SVN commit log. ejabberd_listener is the part of
> ejabberd that manages all network listeners (c2s, s2s_in, service,
> ...).
>

> > is there any way i can force ejabberd_c2s to use a custom backlog value?
>
> The Installation and Operation Guide doesn't say in what listeners the
> option can be used, or not used.
>
> In summary, I think the option backlog can be used in any listener, in
> your case  ejabberd_c2s.
>
> Can you try to put backlog in different listeners, with different values,
> and report if it seems to work?
> With your results, I'll update the Guide accordingly.

reporting back: not having much luck:(

here is my config:

[...]
{listen,
 [
  {5222, ejabberd_c2s, [
                        {backlog, 128},
                        {ip, {127, 0, 0, 1}},
                        {certfile,
"/usr/local/ejabberd/etc/ejabberd/x.pem"}, starttls,
                        {access, c2s},
                        {shaper, c2s_shaper},
                        {max_stanza_size, 65536}
                       ]},
        {5269, ejabberd_s2s_in, [
                        {backlog, 128},
                        {shaper, s2s_shaper},
                        {max_stanza_size, 131072}
                        ]}
[....]

$ netstat -anL | grep '\.52'
tcp4  0/0/5          *.5269
tcp4  0/0/5          *.5222

what strange is, shouldn't it be 127.0.0.1:5222 and not *:5222? looks like
neither backlog nor {ip, 127.0.0.1} config directives are getting honored.

-- yan