[ejabberd] XEP-184

flatworm at users.sourceforge.net flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 8 21:36:59 MSD 2009

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 09:49:27 -0700
Jan Koum <jan.koum at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  if we want to implement XEP-184, there is nothing that needs to be done on
> >> the server, right?  it is pure client-to-client?
> > Right.
> >  also, is there anything similar to XEP-184 but for server message
> >> receipts?
> >> so if client is offline, server will say "hey, i got the message"
> > http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0022.html (now deprecated) can be used to
> > force ejabberd notify your application when it saved the message into
> > offline storage (ejabberd supports this).
> late follow up question on this subject, but.. can XEP-184 be used with
> offline users as well?  for example, lets say Romeo send a message to Julia
> with a receipt request, but Julia is not online.  at some point later Julia
> signs on, retrieves her off-line messages and send back message receipts,
> right?  But what if Romeo has also logged out by this time -- would ejabberd
> store the message receipt from Julia to Romeo until Romeo logs back in and
> retreives his message receipt?
I did not test it personally, but as receipts are just normal messages with a missing body and one special child element, the server should store them provided it supports offline storage.

The only "problem", it seems, is that the XEP-0184 says an entity SHOULD NOT request receipts when it sends messages to a full JID, and as I understand this, if a receiving entity if offline, we're supposed to send our messages to its full JID. But SHOULD NOT is not MUST NOT, of course.
I presume that message receipts as specified by XEP-0184 were developed
with the case of interactive chat in mind and hence the spec does not discuss the case of interacting with offline users.

Anyway, I'd just test it. All you need is two clients which support sending stanzas composed by hand or some other tool allowing to do this.