[ejabberd] ejabberd crashes without any comment

defa defa at systemli.org
Thu Sep 17 11:48:05 MSD 2009

defa wrote:
>> I am running an ejabberd on an debian lenny with the following
>> packages installed:
>>
>> erlang-base/lenny uptodate 1:12.b.3-dfsg-4
>> erlang-nox/lenny uptodate 1:12.b.3-dfsg-4
>> ejabberd/lenny uptodate 2.0.1-6+lenny1
>> mysql-server-5.0/lenny uptodate 5.0.51a-24+lenny2 and mysql-db user
>> backend
>>
>> Since a few days I experience random crashes of the server leaving
>> behind nothing but an erl_crash.dump file in /var/log/ejabberd.
>> The logfiles say nothing abnormal or reproducible - they just stop.
 >
> The behavior I experience got worse: ejabberd won't come up at all
> anymore. When I start it, I see the process running for a little while,
> but then it just crashes as described above. I wonder what's messed up
> so that the behavior got worse.

I finally somewhat solved the startup issue by deleting the file
/var/lib/ejabberd/PREVIOUS.LOG manually as it contained loads of carbage
  and weird values that weren't even chars. Although I never saw the
typical PREVIOUS.LOG error messages when ulimit -n is too low I suspect
that to be the reason - might that be an explanation for an crashed
PREVIOUS.LOG file which crashed the ejabberd at all at startup?

Thank you
defa