[ejabberd] migrating to new server Q.

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 14:26:35 MSD 2009

2009/9/18 Jan Koum <jan.koum at gmail.com>:
> i am getting ready to migrate my production ejabberd setup (running 2.1) to
> a new host with a new different hostname in a new different colo.
>
> my question is this: right now my system hostname (s.example.net) matches
> the {hosts, ["s.example.net"]} config entry in the .cfg file.  can i keep
> the same host in the config file when moving to a new hostname?

Yes.

>  that 'hosts' config setting has nothing to do with /bin/hostname - right?

Right.

The Guide says it:
"The option hosts defines a list containing one or more domains that
ejabberd will serve."

> in other words, users will login as nickname at s.example.net into a hostname
> of newserver.example.net (via CNAME of old s.example.net host)

Right. That's common when one ejabberd deployment in one machine
serves several virtual hosts (domains).

> and sounds like renaming mnesia should be pretty straight forward, just
> follow http://svn.process-one.net/ejabberd/trunk/doc/guide.html#htoc74
> directions..

An alternative to siwtch the old->new nodenames in Mnesia is to put
the old nodename in ejabberdctl.cfg

---
Badlop
ProcessOne