[ejabberd] question about: "epmd: epmd: epmd running - daemon = 1"

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Sep 22 18:57:03 MSD 2009

Jan Koum wrote:

> i just checked my logs and saw a lot of the messages below.  not sure what
> they mean though -- are they harmless?  or is there anything i should do to
> fix 'em?
>
> Sep 21 13:10:30 s1 epmd: epmd: epmd running - daemon = 1
[...]
> Sep 21 13:26:19 s1 last message repeated 8 times
> Sep 21 13:26:45 s1 epmd: epmd: epmd running - daemon = 1
Simple experimentation reveals that this message is logged once per
ejabberdctl run. I suppose this is how epmd (the Erlang port mapping
daemon) tells it's already running when the Erlang emulator started by
the ejabberdctl script tries to run it.
So my guess is that these messages are harmless.